Archive: They Who Are Having A Bad Day
Here are excerpts from three sections of my first (as of this writing, still unpublished) novel, They Who Are Having A Bad Day. Each excerpt is available here in four formats: web page (HTML), Adobe Acrobat (PDF), MS Word (.doc), and plain text (.txt).
- Voltoon Walks Through Town: The Great God Voltoon walks through the streets of Cruciopolis, the capital city of They Who Are Having A Bad Day
- Benster Aconoyde's Last Guard Duty: Benster Aconoyde, an infantryperson in the army of They Who Are Having A Bad Day, ponders the futility of it all while she stands guard over a remote air base on the even more remote planet Berrrk
- The Deity Convention: The Monstrous Jake and his friend, the Great God Voltoon, attend a big deity convention. Meanwhile, in another part of the same hotel, Todd, the emperor of They Who Are Having A Bad Day, attends his first emperor's convention
These two pieces began life as writing warm-up exercises for me during the early years of my novel-writing adventure. They're presented here to provide a small taste of what the novels have in store.
- I Daresay: The backstory from the Red Chicken Rising spaceship miniature wargame rules. This piece started out in July 2000 as a writing exercise shortly after I decided to start writing a series of novels. This piece includes the first appearances of Jake, Agrippa, and Emily. The scene described herein is retold, from a different viewpoint, in Chapter 17 of the first novel.
- Grappling Hook: Another writing exercise featuring Jake, this one from July 2002.
Irvania.com webmaster: Dave Ferris
Last updated: June 11, 2016